This episode explores Learning Forward’s new Professional Learning Standards, focusing on Learning Designs.
There are many factors as we select a learning design:
- the goals of the learning
- characteristics of the learners
- their comfort with the learning process and one another
- their familiarity with the content
- the magnitude of the expected change
- educators’ work environment
- resources available to support learning
Models have many common components: such as active engagement, modeling, reflection, metacognition, application, feedback, ongoing support, and formative and summative assessment, that support change in knowledge, skills, dispositions, and practice.
As we choose a learning design, we want to focus on promoting active engagement, deep learning, that inspires action.